Saturday, October 17, 2009

Break

Saturdays during break are marvelous. For the first time in a long time, I didn't have to set an alarm, and none of my roommates are here, so without anything to wake me up, my body happily gorged itself on sleep. Yum.

When I finally did get up, I spent most of the afternoon cleaning my room. It's nice to be able to kick off a new term feeling organized, even though that feeling will likely deteriorate by Week 3.

Though my day was surprisingly productive, it made me very thankful that my friend convinced me to come home with her for most of the break. Spending most of the break alone in my basement would have be lonely, and to avoid getting all introspective and gloomy as I'm apt to do when left to my own devices, I would probably have distracted myself with stupid sitcoms all week. Or I would have done school, which could be considered equally as wrong, because breaks are for relaxing.

So, instead, I went to Washington where I met M's family. They have fourteen kids, so it was a lot of fun. One night, we were watching TV, and three children climbed into my lap. One eventually toddled off because the other two kept elbowing her, and one of the others fell asleep in my arms. It was good for my soul, which has been child-starved for the past nine weeks. I miss the church kiddos back home...

When we weren't hanging out with her family, M and I went shopping, watched a hockey game, went sight-seeing around Seattle, and visited this adorable little Bavarian town on our way home, where we both indulged our German sides with sauerkraut-laden bratwurst slathered in horseradish and brown-ale mustard with salt and vinegar chips on the side.

In other news, my sinuses are all cleared out . . .

I feel like our Seattle trip deserves a post all of it's own, but I need to get up early tomorrow, so that will have to wait for another time. Probably tomorrow.

I miss and love you all...and today, I especially miss my harp and the tabebuia tree in our yard. Don't ask me why I miss those two things specifically. All I know is that I would be thrilled if someone sent me a care package containing either (or both) of those items. I would also be really impressed, and I would probably feel guilty about the shipping costs.





1 comment:

  1. Little Bavarian town... would that be Leavenworth? or am I totally confused and wrong?

    ReplyDelete