Friday, January 1, 2010

Books I Read in 2009

This will be long, but incomplete for sure.

Last January, I was starting my last semester of high school. That seems so long ago. I had to dig up my old Literature syllabus to remember what we read.

HIGH SCHOOL BOOKS

The Grand Inquisitor from The Brothers Karamazov, by Dostoevsky.
I want to read the whole book, but I'm still working through Anna Karenina, and I have a policy against reading two Russian novels simultaneously.

The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy
This short story was really what made me fall in love with Russian Lit. So simple, so powerful. It's online, so go read it.

Selections from British WWI Poets.
I remember "The Soldier" by Rupert Brooke and "Dulce et Decorum Est" by Wilfred Owen, because I wrote an essay contrasting them. I don't know if we read others...

Selected poems by Yeats
I remember "Sailing to Byzantium" and "The Second Coming." I have tucked both of them away in my file of works of Lit to return to with a more mature mind. I know I didn't get them.

The Metamorphosis by Kafka
Crazy. I felt like I was having a nightmare. But I want to read it again someday...

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot
I want to read more Eliot. The line "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" has always stuck with me.

The Guest by Albert Camus
The main thing I remember about this week's assignment was that his name isn't pronounced anything like I thought it was. I also remember the story quite well, but I don't remember the point. Eek. I think senioritis must have sunk in right about then...

Letter from a Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King, Jr.
Wow. Say what you want about MLK, but boy, he knew how to make sparks fly on a page. Great rhetoric.

Selections by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
I can't remember the titles. Oops.

"Men Have Forgotten" and "A World Split Apart" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
I remember loving Solzhenitsyn, but I can't remember details.

As you can see, I gave into senioritis toward the end, not spending nearly enough time on those assignments. Otherwise, I could remember a bit more...

I don't think I read ANY pleasure books that semester, so once school ended, I majorly overdosed on books at the library. My friend gave me a notebook to log all the books I've read, and I ended up writing a one word opinion of each book after I read it. That was hard, but good for me. ;) And yes, I read kids' books. Unabashedly.

SUMMER 2009 BOOKS
Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge--schmaltzy
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank---captivating
A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle---clever
The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett---quirky
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe---intriguing
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson---depressing
Bread and Roses, Too by Katherine Paterson---cute
The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen---cliche
East by Edith Pattou---enjoyable
Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary--nostalgic
Ramona and Her Mother by Beverly Cleary---classic
Ramona Forever by Beverly Cleary---fun
The Prodigal God by Tim Keller---eyeopening
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams--goofy
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Shaffer and Barrows---charming
Before Green Gables by Budge Wilson---subpar
The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler---depraved
Wit by Margaret Edson---favorite
Adam by Ted Dekker--terrible
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult---disappointing
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini--compelling

And then, the first half of my freshman year of college, I read these books. I didn't do the one word summary, but I probably should've...

FRESHMAN JERUSALEM/NICEA TERM BOOKS
Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman
Gorgias by Plato
How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler
On Rhetoric: A Theory of Civic Discourse by Aristotle
City of God by St. Augustine
Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin (We actually haven't finished the Institutes yet...)
On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius
Confessions by St. Augustine
A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Seventh Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researches by Kate Turabian. (I couldn't handle the suspense in this one. A real page-turner, it was.)
A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony Weston
Cicero: Rhetorica ad Herennium
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesteron
A House for My Name: A Survey of the Old Testament
by Peter Leithart
Christ, Baptism and the Lord's Supper: Recovering the Sacraments for Evangelical Worship
by Leonard Vander Zee
Luther and Erasmus: Free Will and Salvation
The Christ of the Covenants by O. Palmer Robertson
The Teaching of the Church Regarding Baptism by Karl Barth
Understanding Dispensationalists by Vern Poythress

That's all I can remember...

3 comments:

  1. I'm a third of the way through The Brothers Karamazov right now. Father Zosima is pretty much amazing (write down quotes from him!). I'm enjoying it, but it is rough to get through. Dostoevsky didn't take any pains to make it a page-turner (although it IS better than the Turabian manual...haha). I've heard that Crime and Punishment is a more interesting read.

    What do you think of Anna Karenina?

    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know which is more impressive--the fact that you read all those books, or the that you remembered to write them all down! You've inspired me with my reading for this year....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you think of Postman? His books are dated in relation to technology but they made me think about the direction tech is taking us. When he talked about TV I had to think internet. Other books I liked by him are "Technopoly" and the "End of Education".

    I'm impressed by your list. I heard some one say, "You will be the same person 10 years from now that you are today except for the people in your life and the books you read."

    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete