Monday, August 3, 2009

Yes, another post about decluttering...

Part of the pre-packing process included getting my "Special Box" down from the attic. Each of my siblings has one. Leah went through hers when she got married, but it has been years since I opened mine.

It was a hilarious experience. On the very bottom was a book I wrote for my brother when I was in first grade called "Tara's Book of Buttons and of Belly Buttons." Now there's a catchy title! I kept that, of course, but I chucked--among other things--all the silly VBS crafts that were falling apart and a few pillows I sewed as a kid.

Most of the items were clothes. I kept all the ones that my mom had kept for me--her trench coat from the '70's...the homemade stuff my grandma made. I loved wearing those outfits as a kid, and it'll make a nice addition to my future daughters' dress-up box if nothing else.

But then there were the things like...

These shorts.


They are just a pair of cotton shorts, and an ugly pair at that. But--for some reason--I wanted to keep them. When I took them out the other day, I stretched the waist and heard the sound of crumbling. Elastic is not forever. Bye-bye, ugly cotton shorts.

I at least understood why this outfit was in there. It was my absolute favorite when I was around the age of six--I wore it all the time.


Sadly, however--I was a messy eater, and the proof is all over the shirt.

This outfit came with a red belt.

A belt, I might add, which still fits. ;) Haha.


How can you resist that flower buckle? ;) Yep, I kept the belt, but threw the outfit into the Goodwill pile.

Alright, people. Are you ready for this next picture? I just want to warn you. What you are about to see may disturb you. One of my first sewing projects...


That's an angel. A really creepy angel. I'm pretty sure that it used to have hair, but I probably pulled it off during a sermon one Sunday. (Yes, I actually took this thing to church. It held my Bible and pens, and I was so proud of the fact that I made it.) I bet everyone else was jealous of my alien bag. I mean angel bag. Yeah, that's what I meant.


I'm not going to lie. I couldn't give this away. It makes me laugh, and for that reason alone, it's sticking around.

I'm half-tempted to start carrying it again. ;)


2 comments:

  1. Haha--I recognize all your old stuff. I had no idea that plaid outfit was your favorite....I do remember you wearing it a lot though. The angel bag is hilarious. I think your sewing skills have improved since you were younger. :)

    -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO random, but I remember wearing that plaid outfit at G'ma and G'pa's house down in WPB, and while I playing outside, I realized my shirt was inside-out. Mom told me to just change it around really fast. I was appalled, and I told her that there was no way I was going to take off my shirt outside. Ha, what other 5-6 year old is that modest? I'm glad that kicked in for me after being a little nudist the first few years of my life. :P

    ReplyDelete