Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

A couple of my friends and I had the "Where were you on 9/11?" conversation today. Do you suppose people in the 1870's talked about where they were when they found out President Lincoln had been assassinated? It just seems like every generation has that one tragic moment that unites them all.

Like my sister, I was also doing my Saxon math lesson. I remember my mom getting a phone call from one of her friends. My mom turned on the TV, so I knew it must be important. Then she started crying, and I knew it was really a big deal.

Strangely enough, those were the two things that initially helped me grasp the seriousness of everything. I had heard about terrorist attacks in the news before, and I didn't understand why this one was such a big deal. I'd never been to NY or seen the World Trade Center, so it didn't feel like they were attacking home. I was ten years old, and probably still thought that FL was the entire United States. It wasn't until later that I realized the gravity of the attack.

The next night, we had Kids' Night at our church, and I remember one girl insisting that the tourists had attacked.

Oh, the blissful ignorance of youth...sometimes I wish I could go back to the days when I had to have evil explained to me.

Keep all the families who've lost loved ones in your prayers. Anniversaries are hard.

1 comment:

  1. My dad was off of work for the day, and he and I were about to leave for my homeschool art lesson. My mom was already on the phone with my aunt, and it was my aunt who told her to turn on the TV. We either watched the second plane hit or the building fall--I can't remember which. Then my dad and I left for art. My brother was in public school at the time (shocking, I know--he went for a few months in the fourth grade so he could appreciate homeschool more). When the plane hit the Pentagon, my mom called us. We were about to go out to lunch, but she told us to go get Greg from school so we could all be together.

    My mom remembers where she was during the Space Shuttle Challenger accident.

    -Stacey-

    ReplyDelete