Monday, September 21, 2009

The cost of higher education...

Last week at declamation, we all read another section of our papers. In my narratio, I referenced a 19th-century idea concerning higher education for women. Basically, this Harvard medical professor came up with the theory that women couldn't handle the rigors of a liberal arts education. Their brains would become overstressed which would harm their ovaries, and they'd be barren for life.


And no, I couldn't read that without laughing.


The assignment for this week's declamation is nice and simple. We have to give a book or movie review. I looked back over my reading log to see what I'd read this summer and was reminded of my newest favorite play: W;t (also published under Wit, but the semi-colon is a major part of the story, so I think it should be kept in). This assignment isn't due for a few days, but I needed a break from reading, so I sat down to write. First, I tried to summarize the play. A pedantic woman spends her entire life in the academic world and discovers at the age of 50 that she has cancer. Ovarian cancer.


Then it hit me. I can't review this play at declamations. No way. After last week's declamation, I can just imagine everyone sitting there thinking, "Why is that one short girl in our class always talking about educated women and their ovaries?"


So, yeah. I nixed that idea.


Sometime I'll post a review of W;t on here...but right now, I need to come up with another book or movie to review. I thought about Captivating, but I've already technically written a review of it on Facebook, and I also don't want to always be harping on views of women in Christian circles, no matter how wrong they are.


Maybe I can review Amelia Bedelia. Or Ramona Quimby, Age Eight. I don't think ovaries play a big part in either of those books.


And that is the final time that I'll write the word "ovaries" on this blog. Promise.



3 comments:

  1. You are so funny. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall at declamations!
    AK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure it's the last time? If you review W;t, it won't be, haha.

    I do think you should review Amelia Bedelia. Remember when we went to the children's library this summer and read it together? Ah, good times. :D

    -Stacey-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your sense of humor Tara! Thanks for the good reading these past couple of weeks.
    Josie

    ReplyDelete